Thursday, March 27, 2014

My Attempt to Dress Fashionably

Over the last 15 months or so, I have been on a weight loss journey and have avoided buying clothes as much as possible.  I didn't want to waste money on clothes that were in a size that I wouldn't be in for long.  Now that I am pretty much at my goal weight (just a few more pounds to go), I feel comfortable buying some things in my new size.  (Plus I am tired of constantly washing the only two pairs of pants that fit me right now)

I am a serious online shopper.  My UPS man probably hates me.  Or loves me for the job security.  I don't really like shopping in person because I get frustrated trying to find things and I'm usually crunched for time.  I'd much rather type a phrase in the search bar, and find what I need in a few seconds.  I've gotten a feel for styles that fit me well and try to avoid the styles that are more risky and trendy to avoid dealing with returns.  The only problem is that gets a bit boring after a while sticking with the tried and true.

Enter a service called Stitch Fix.  A friend posted about it on Facebook and it had me intrigued.  It's an online personal stylist who selects five items for you to try.  The selections are based on a detailed profile you fill out when you sign up with your sizing, preferences and colors you like.  Once the items arrive, you have 3 days to try them on and decide if you want to keep them or send them back.  If you send everything back, you only pay a $20 styling fee.  If you keep everything, your styling fee is deducted AND you get 25% off.  You can schedule your "fixes" to come monthly or less frequent if you like.

My first "fix" was last month, and I was so nervous about it, but I was pleasantly surprised.  I liked most of the items, and even really loved a few.  I was on the fence about one item, but decided to keep it to get the 25% discount.  

My second "fix" arrived today and I thought I would document it to share what it is like.  Stitch Fix is located in San Francisco, so when I got the shipping notification yesterday, I knew it would be here fast!
The packaging is modern and cute!

I was so excited, it was like Christmas morning!  I have to admit, I cheated a bit and peeked at my online account yesterday to see what I'd be getting.  They don't show pictures, but I knew what styles were being sent.  It kind of ruined the surprise, so I don't think I'll be doing that again...if I can help it!  


In addition to the items, your package includes a prepaid shipping envelope for the returns, your invoice for the items, a note from your stylist and these fun style cards.  They give you ideas for styling your items in different ways.  Super helpful for the fashion challenged like myself!



This shipment included a pair of colored skinny jeans, 2 tops, a scarf and a dress.  I loved how it was all coordinated and Spring-y!  I couldn't wait to go upstairs and try it all on!

I had gotten a pair of the same jeans in my first box and just happened to be wearing them today.  They were a touch snug, but loosened up as I wore them.  The fabric is nice and soft, and a bit thinner than other skinny jeans I own, but in a good way.  They are comfortable to wear and a good length, maybe even a bit on the long side.  Here they are today, with a flannel shirt I already owned and my brown boots.

Unfortunately the coral pair I received today did not fit as well as the first pair.  They were the exact same size and style, but super tight.  I got them buttoned, but it was just not a flattering or comfortable look.  The color was out of my comfort zone, but I probably would have kept them if they fit a bit looser.  I'm just not into the painted on jeans look.

I tried them on with this striped dolman style top.  It was a bit sheer, but the fabric had a nice texture and I loved the color.  This one is a keeper for sure!

Next I tried on the dress.  It was a soft cotton fabric, lined nicely, and had an elastic waist and keyhole button back.   Dresses are a hard fit for me because I have a larger sized top than my waist size.  So when this dress was a bit snug in the top I wasn't really surprised.  I really, really wanted to like this dress because it was super cute.  I even tried it with one of my belts (note to self: buy new smaller belts), but I just didn't find it flattering.  Bummer.

Next I tried on this navy, flowy shirt covered in white hearts.  I wasn't wild about the hearts, but I thought I may change my mind once I tried it on.  Nope.  Not my style.  The shirt itself was fine, although the button pulled a bit at the chest.  I just felt the hearts were too young of a style for me, I would have preferred just regular polka dots.  I tried the shirt on with the jeans again and confirmed my decision on the jeans when I saw the back view.  So not flattering.

Finally, I threw on the scarf to get a picture of it, and paired with the shirt and the pants it's a bit overwhelming.  But I love the chevron print and the coral/pink color.  It's super light and soft, perfect for Spring.  I'll be keeping it too!


So overall, I was happy with my second box.  I'm a little bummed everything didn't work out, but it was still fun to try new things and get a few pieces that will work for me.  I can't wait to get my next box!

The winners........and the losers!

When you fill out your profile you set your pricing preferences, I had most of mine in the middle to low range.  To buy all five of my items in this shipment it would have been $198 after the discounts.  For just the shirt and the scarf it was $64.50 (includes $4.50 tax for CA residents).  That's probably a bit more than I would have paid for them in person, but it was still fun to try new things and you can't beat the convenience.  As they get a feel for your style and get feedback it's supposed to get better, so I think I will hang in there for a few more tries.

If any of my readers want to sign up and give Stitch Fix a try, you can follow this link.  I get credit towards future "fixes" for each person who signs up through my referral link. :)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, I love clothes but not shopping, I can never figure out an outfit so I refer to the mannequins alot. Sorry some didn't fir so well, over all I think there's potential, hopefully your third is a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know you have a BLOG!!! What a fun, fun read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had it for a while, but I had forgotten about it, LOL! I'm trying to post more often, at least once a week now. Hold me to it!

      Delete